Thursday, March 5, 2009

It happened again!

My ever-present fear of not being prepared has once again surfaced subconciously in the form of a dream.

Anytime I have something big coming up I will inevitably have a dream prior to the event where I am anything but prepared for said event. Take for example...the biggest day of my life, my wedding day. I can't tell you how many dreams I had where the Bridal March would be playing, all of the bridesmaids would have completed their walk down the aisle and someone would be finding me in my sweat pants. I would wake up completely flustered. Yet somewhat relieved.

Right before my qualifying exam I dreamed that I was putting together my powerpoint presentation during my exam and the clock kept ticking and my committee kept getting madder and threatening to walk out.

The list could go on and on. The typical cycle goes something like this. The date for the big event is determined. I begin to prepare for the event. I typically over-prepare for the event. And then I have "the dream". Depending on how big the event is, I could have multiple reoccuring dreams. (Was that redundant?) Then the event happens and everything works out fine! Always. Now there are some things that go wrong or that I'm not prepared for. But what I'm trying to tell myself is that everything usually works out. Oh! My dream last night...

So I am in the process of looking for a job teaching chemistry. And I had the worst dream last night that I got a job teaching and of course, I was not prepared for the job. I couldn't get there on time, so I missed classes. I hadn't read the chapter, so I couldn't teach the material. And even if I had been ready to teach, in this dream, I couldn't even find the classroom!

I didn't even know I was worried about teaching. Maybe it was my mind's way of telling me that subconscioulsy I know that going from a laboratory to a classroom will be a huge jump and honestly, I'm a little intimidated by the thought of it. But what I hope I've learned from my experience with these dreams in the past and the typical outcomes of the big events is that it's going to be okay.

I know this isn't very deep, but can anyone relate?

No comments: